Controlling sugar level implies keeping the blood sugar within the desired range. Having too much or too little blood sugars can lead to serious health complications.
Some of the short-term problems that may arise include:
- Diabetic ketoacidosis
In the long-run, some serious complications may develop. These include:
- Heart diseases
- Vision problems and problems
- Kidney diseases
There are a number of ways through which you can control blood sugar level. These include insulin injections, taking pills and healthy eating. Eating healthy food is the most effective and safe way to control blood sugars. To understand the importance of a healthy diet, let us look at how the various food categories affect the blood sugar level.
These have the most effect on the blood sugars. This is because when they get digest, they produce glucose that is then absorb into the blood stream. It is, therefore, necessary to take the following necessary steps.
- Take less carbohydrate if you are not engaging in any strenuous activity. This ensures that you only take enough to supply your body with the necessary energy.
- Minimize the amount of carbohydrates you take before retiring to bed.
- Take carbohydrates with high fiber content.
Proteins have smaller effects on the blood sugar levels. They are, therefore, an important portion that should include in your diet. The following are some of the healthy proteins that you should include in your diet.
- Dairy products
- Beans and nuts
Fat takes longer to get digested hence they can lead to low sugar levels shortly after a meal but lead to high blood sugar levels after a longer period. However, they are an integral part of a healthy meal. The following steps should be considered.
- Consider healthier fats with low cholesterol to reduce the risk of heart diseases.
- Limit the amount of fat that you include in your meal every day.
Vegetables and Fruits
Fruits are a source of vitamins and should never forget when it comes to controlling blood sugar level. Vegetables, Fruits and fruit juices are good in stabilizing the internal body conditions and improving the immune system of the body. Therefore, the following steps should be taken
- Ensure that you include fruit in every meal.
- Take natural fruit juices after meals.
- Include a variety of vegetable sources in your diet.
Apart from ensuring that your meals are balanced with the above types of foods, ensure you try to include the following products which have been recommended by medical experts for their ability to control blood sugar levels.
Spinach, Broccoli and Green Beans
- They are low in carbohydrates and high in fiber content.
- They are low in bad cholesterol and help to lose weight.
- They are low in carbohydrates and high in fiber and water.
- They make you feel fuller for longer hence reduce the risk of taking junk snacks.
- Cinnamon has insulin-like effects and has been used to reduce sugar levels for people with diabetes.
- Use Cinnamon as a spice in your meals and you will notice a difference after some time.
- The water has no carbohydrates and calories.
- It takes away the desire to take sugary drinks.
- It is good for blood sugar control and weight loss.
Controlling blood sugar level is an everyday routine. This poses a challenge especially when you want to travel to a different country because you will still need to keep monitoring and taking care of your condition away from home. In this case, you may need to consult a medical practitioner, and this may be expensive in a foreign land. It is, therefore, necessary for you to ensure that you take and carry with you the (EHIC) to ensure that you can receive medical attention anytime at reduced cost.